Bathroom swaps

Since starting this journey, I have slowly incorporated sustainable bathroom swaps into my life. I was planning on telling you all the swaps I have made, but the list got a bit too long.. So here is the bathroom edition!

Be mindful that all bodies are different, so what may not work for me doesn't mean it won't for you!

Toothbrush
I am on my 3rd bamboo toothbrush, and it was so easy to swap! There is literally no difference! I use a Georganics one, which I think they have remade now and doesn't look the same. It has a soft charcoal bristles and a beech wood handle. Costs £4.40 for one or £13.90 for four.

They also sell a Sonic toothbrush and replacement heads, however these are made from plastic, but you send the heads back for recycling.
These are packaged in a cardboard box.

Toothpaste
I use toothpaste tablets containing fluoride. These are strange to get used to, but its simple once you get used to it!

  • You simply place one tablet in your mouth, crunch it in your teeth to create a powder, it will then "foam"and you brush! The difference with a natural toothpaste is that it doesn't foam as much as you would normally be used to.

There are also actual pastes, but I didn't really get on with the one I tried. Everyone is different, so if you don't like the idea of a tablet, give the paste a try!
These all come in a small glass jar with a metal lid, and refills sometimes come in a paper bag.

Floss
I don't use floss as much as we're supposed to. But nevertheless, I have the Georganics charcoal one. They recently discovered that this actually contains some form of plastic, so I won't be buying this one again as it wont compost as well. There are silk or vegan corn starch ones which are compostable.

These all come in a small glass tube with a metal lid, and you simply buy the refills and place inside.

Shampoo
I have tried a few shampoo bars, Friendly Soap and Primal Suds. I didn't get on with the Friendly Soap one, but it was the first one I tried. I now use the Primal Suds for dry hair, which I have used for about 5 months. These bars tend to last me about a month and a half, but they would last longer if you have shorter hair (mine is just really long!)

When you first start using a shampoo bar, your hair goes through a detoxing stage, where it pulls out all of the "crap" which is left over by the normal shampoo and other products. Once you have used a shampoo bar for around 3-4 weeks, you should be used to it and it shouldn't be too strange to use.

  • To use, you wet your hair (don't ring it out) and the bar. You then rub the bar onto your hair all over and into the ends. It should lather as you do this. Then rub it in as you would normally, which will lather a bit more, and rinse it out. I've always done this step twice. On the second application, you won't need to use as much shampoo, as it will lather easier.
These normally come in a cardboard box.

Dry Shampoo 
Yes, there is an alternative to the aerosol! The one I use is Primal Suds Barnet (for dark hair). This is made from a number of powdered ingredients! It comes in a paper bag, but this product needs to be placed into an airtight container. I purchased the shampoo and tin combo (which has the logo on) for an extra cost, but you could use any airtight jar or tin.
  • Best way to use is to place into a pepper shaker and shake onto roots, rubbing it in as normal.

Conditioner 
I have only tried one, and I love it! Bain & Savon conditioner bar for normal hair is so moisturising! 
  • After shampooing, wet hair (don't ring it out) and slide the bar over your hair, but don't rub it into the roots. I leave it on for the length of my shower/bath and rinse it at the very end. Be sure to rinse it all out, it may stay in your hair and go a bit oily otherwise.
This brand wraps their bars in a wax paper and ribbon.

Soap 
I don't use shower gel anymore, only a bar of soap! I have just been using whatever I already had laying around, but Primal Suds were rated to be one of the best in the UK by the zero waste community. I also use this normal soap as a shaving lather, rather than gel/foam. I have tried a shaving soap, but it's essentially the same thing!

These normally come in a cardboard box.

Sponge 
I no longer use a typical body sponge or body puff. My mum bought me a natural sea sponge, which was so nice to use and so soft on the skin. This lasted me about 6 months, however it eventually fell apart and I have since replaced it with a LoofCo body loofah. This is all natural, made from the Luffa plant and has a string to hang it up in order to dry it.

This comes in a cardboard sleeve, but other brands may differ.

Razor 
I no longer use a plastic cartridge razor, instead I have a safety razor. I have a pink handled one from Edwin Jagger, which cost £27 and came with 5 blades. These only use one double sided blade, but the results are the same if not better! I find that you get a much closer shave, but just be careful around your joints, as you could cut yourself (tiny little nicks if at all) if you go too quickly. Saying that, once you get used to it, your rarely cut yourself. 
  • You use as you normally would. To replace the blade, you twist the top off and carefully remove the top plate and then the blade, replacing it with a sharp one and put it back together!
The blades are recyclable, as they are metal and don't have any plastic surrounding it. You can buy a little can (but you could just use a can you get from beans/tomatoes etc) to place the used blades in, then chuck the whole thing into the metal recycling bin. 

The blades only cost £2 for 10, and I have used this for around a year and a half. I haven't done the math, but I have definitely saved a lot of money! The blades last me about 2-3 months before they need changing.

Deodorant 
I have tried two different deodorant bars, however I haven't yet found one I get on with.. I have tried the Kutis Lemongrass & Tea Tree one and the Primal Suds Freshcobar one. These just didn't work for my body, but I know other people rave about them. The next one I want to try is the Biork Crystal, but I haven't got around to trying this yet. Like the shampoo, your armpits need to detox and so it will take a little while for your body to get used to this type of deodorant. There is a Detox bar, which exfoliates and cleanses your underarms, but I haven't tested this product.. maybe I should before trying another deodorant.
  • Simple to use, apply by rubbing the bar on your armpits. If the bar is cold, it may need to be warmed up a little, otherwise it may be a little uncomfortable to apply. 
There are also deodorant creams, which you apply with your fingertips. I haven't tried these.

These normally come in either a jar, tin or box. 

Cotton Buds 
Most of these have plastic sticks, however I know that Johnson's now use paper (but still come in a tub that contains plastic). I use the Hydrophil cotton swabs, which are made from bamboo and organic cotton. 

These come in a cardboard box.

Face Scrub
I have recently purchased Niskama Face Polish, and it is amazing! It doesn't contain micro plastics, instead it uses natural exfoliants. My face feels so soft after I have used this!
  • Use a pea sized amount in wet hands, apply to a wet face and scrub! The key is to use water, as it activates the slight foaminess.
This comes in a small glass jar with a metal lid. It did, however, come in a jiffy bag with plastic bubble wrap.. Only downside!

Face Cleanser
I have only tried one, the Kutis Washing Grains. To be honest, I don't see any difference when I use it. It feels nice when applying it, but it doesn't necessarily feel amazing afterwards. I dont tend to break out unless it's that time of the month.. I haven't used this product much, so I'll give it another go and see if it makes any difference to my skin.

Face Cloth
My mum got me some reusable/washable makeup remover cloths, and they're brilliant! When I actually wear makeup, I have a waterproof mascara, and when using this cloth it doesn't cause it to streak or bleed, it just comes straight off!
  • Wet cloth, rub your face, makeup come off.. it's that simple! Rinse the cloth and it can be used numerous times before popping it in the wash!
There are also reusable cotton rounds/pads, however I don't see the point in using these as I no longer use a makeup remover.. But if you do, they're available everywhere! Just pop them in the wash when you've used it, and its good to go again.

The cloths came in a pack of two, but unfortunately came in a plastic box.. But seeing as they're reusable, I think it makes up for it!

Feminine Hygiene
So it's definitely too much information, but I'll share anyway! I no longer use tampons, instead I use a reusable menstrual cup by Mooncup. I agree, it sounds disgusting at first, but when I think about the money I have saved, I don't care anymore! It costs £22 and lasts for up to 10 years!! It definitely takes some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, it's simple! You will work out how often you need to empty it with your own flow, and once you understand how heavy you are, it will can stay in for up to 8 hours. 
  • Fold the cup in on itself, pop it in and the cup will open up. To remove, you just pinch the bottom of the cup and pull gently, then tip it out into the toilet and rinse with water. Replace as before.
If you don't like the idea of the menstrual cup, there are organic tampons and pads by TOTM.

I have also tried some period pants from Thinx, although this is an American company and the postage takes a while, and I was hit with an extra charge before the postman would deliver it! There is only one company I know of in the UK and thats Modibodi. I haven't tried these yet, but I do want to buy some more, so I will be purchasing from this UK company. I only use these in combination with my menstrual cup in case of leakages, but they can be used on their own.

.....

I'm trying to think of other things I have swapped, but I'm struggling! I think I've covered the changes I have made, although there are some others I still want to swap! Sorry if this was a lot to take in, but I wanted to give as much information as possible to help you make a decision on whether you would consider swapping or not!

Thanks for reading, Katie

Comments

Popular Posts