Kitchen swaps

There are many things you can swap to create less waste in the kitchen! I have yet to complete this one, but I have made a few changes so far..

Washing up
Dish washing liquid - I have recently purchased some "bulk buy" washing up liquid, where you fill your own container. For this, I actually purchased a metal bottle with a plastic pump (mainly because I thought this would look nicer on the side, compared to a reused plastic one). I purchased this from my local zero-waste shop, The Clean Kilo. I cant remember the brand of it, but it smells amazing! I use 3 pumps, and it creates plenty of bubbles! I haven't had any issues with it, although my partner thinks he may be allergic.. but I think he might just be trying to get out of washing up..

Sponges - I have bought some reusable/washable pads, which have a textured side for the actual cleaning, and a pretty fabric on the other for decoration. I think these work great, and they look lovely too!
To clean, pop it in the washing!

Scrub brush - I have a coconut fibre brush, which is held together by a twisted piece of metal wire. I think its great, but my mum thinks it is slightly less hygienic than a sponge (which you would throw in the bin). I have had mine for some time now, and it's still going strong! These can be chucked into the compost after they have gone past their prime, just remember to take the metal wire out (and pop it in the recycling).

Food packaging
Cling film - I made my own wax wraps, which were really simple to do! I have tonnes of fabric in my craft collection, so I just chose some nice ones and cut them to size. I then placed the fabric onto a sheet of grease proof paper and grated some bees wax (you can get vegan alternatives). I sprinkled it onto the fabric, placed another sheet of grease proof paper on top and ironed it until the fabric was soaked in the wax, adding a little more where needed. Once this was complete, I picked the fabric up by the corners and carefully waved it slightly to cool/dry the wax.
To clean, simply run it under some cold water (not hot, otherwise the wax will melt).

Tin foil - There's no need to swap this item, as it is always recyclable!

Tupperware - So long as you use your plastic tupperware until it really has to be replaced, there's no problem! But when it is time to replace it, consider opting for ones made from either metal or glass, which often come with either plastic or wooden lids. I have some from the Ikea 365 range, which range in lots of different shapes and sizes, and some even have compartments.

Sandwich bags - I just use either a glass tupperware or wax wrap for this swap! But there are some options out there, such as silicone or cute fabric sandwich bags.

General
Paper towels - I have purchased some non-paper towels, which are basically just napkins/cloths.. But I have to say, sometimes I don't want to use these to clean up after the pets.. If you are a pet owner, you'll know that sometimes they have 'oops' moments, whether its sick or something worse. I will on these occasions either use toilet roll or use the actual paper towels that the boyfriend buys. (As this blog is titled, this is an IMPERFECT zero waste journey)

Utensils - Things such as measuring cups/spoons, jugs etc I prefer to use either ceramic, glass or metal. You can also buy wooden versions, but I find that these tend to spoil quicker as they get washed up quite a lot. Some things I already own are made from plastic, but I will keep using these until they give out.

Bin bags - Now obviously, things that go in the general waste bin are going to landfill.. But I have seen tutorials on how to make bags from newspaper, which could be useful for a room other than the kitchen. If you are composting, these paper bags could be a great alternative to the compostable bags, as the should (in theory) compost quicker. If you are placing things in the recycling bin, there is no need to use a bag, just place it in a clean bin/container and transfer it to the outside recycling bin.

Clothes washing
Detergent - Instead of using the 'chemical' ones you buy in the shops, there are a couple of alternatives. You can purchase 'bulk' detergent liquid/gel, which you use as you would a normal gel, by placing it in a small pot and pop it in the drum. You can buy powder detergent in a paper bag, which you place in the washer draw as normal. Or you can buy some soap nuts, which are a 'fruit' from a tree/bush, which you pop into a small fabric bag and place in the drum.
With soap nuts, I haven't found that these clean as well on a normal wash. I tend to use this alternative for my delicates/woolen items. I haven't tried the liquid/gel or powder yet, it's on my list though!

Conditioner - I am in LOVE with the bulk one I purchase from my local zero waste shop, The Clean Kilo. I believe it is made by SESI, which make numerous different zero waste alternatives.

Dryer - Preferably, you wouldn't use a tumble dryer. But if you are using dryer sheets, use dryer eggs or balls instead.

Pegs - We all have plastic pegs laying around the house/garden, and they always break.. When they do, consider replacing them with wooden or metal ones!

Lint roller - The ones where you rip off the used sticky are so wasteful, but I still have one to use up.. So once its done, I'll buy a lint brush which is made from wood and has rubber bristles, like this one.

I've probably forgotten about something, but this is all I can think of at the moment! If you can think of something which you would like to swap and don't know of an alternative, feel free to comment and ask!

Comments

Popular Posts